It’s been some time since you started your business. Many business owners have mixed emotions as they experience the highs and lows of owning and running a small business. Very few small business owners take the time to sit back and analyse the changes taking place in their business and business operating environment and then consider how these changes impact on their current and future business situation. Developing business survival strategies is a key part of helping your business to evolve and navigate the ever-changing landscape.
Consider how any or all of the following impact on your business:
- Greater use of technology
- Increasing costs of supply, especially gas
- Rising interest rates
- Climate change
- Increasing use of imports to meet customer demand for cheaper goods
- Greater pressure on profit margins from national competitors
- Little sense of customer loyalty
- Demographic shift with ageing business owners (including supplier businesses)
- Higher employment costs with fewer staff
- More businesses for sale with fewer buyers
Small business owners need to continually evolve the way they do business if they are to survive and thrive. Completing a business SWOT analysis is an essential first step in any effective business planning process with the aim of successfully evolving the business to counter existing weaknesses and threats, bolster strengths and take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
Planning is the key to your future success
Successful small business owners are able to spend less time working in their business, with more time spent planning their future and developing business survival strategies. Take the time to find out what’s happening in your industry, how you compare with your peers (business benchmarking) and establish a picture of what your business will look like in the future. Invest in planning days with your most trusted Advisers (Accountant and Financial Adviser) so you can get independent and objective advice on how your business is performing.
Are you doing any or all of the following?
- Do you regularly attend industry conferences and events?
- Do you regularly attend business management and training courses?
- Do you allocate a percentage of your working week to strategic and business planning?
- Do you regularly spend time with your Accountant and Financial Adviser to discuss your business affairs?
- Do you regularly attend information sessions provided by your most trusted advisers?
- Are you taking advantage of all the services provided by your most trusted advisers, including business coaching and business growth advice?
How you plan for change will improve your chances of surviving and thriving. Developing business survival strategies doesn’t mean you believe you are going to fail. It means you are giving your business the best chance of growing.
The team at MGI South Queensland have helped many businesses not only survive but thrive through difficult times. We have business coaches as well as experts in tax and risk management. Our outsourced CFO and financial management service gives you access to specialist support who can help you improve your financial procedures and improve your bottom line. Give us a call on 07 3002 4800 or book a consultation online today.
Disclaimer: this information is of a general nature and should not be viewed as representing financial advice. Readers of this information are encouraged to seek further advice if they are unclear as to the meaning of anything contained in this article. MGI accepts no responsibility for any loss suffered as a result of any party using or relying on this article.